Sunday, April 25, 2010

Meal Planning, Anyone?

Do you make a weekly, monthly, daily meal plan? It's something I really benefit from when I do it, but I don't seem to do it very often. I'm going to start weekly meal planning again. I'll probably do it on Mondays and just plan out one week at a time. The benefits to me are 1. Using stuff I have on hand. 2. Less wasted food. 3. Fewer grocery runs and impulse buys at the grocery store. 4. Less prep time if I can do the chopping etc for more than one meal at a time. 5. The house runs smoother. 6. I'm happier and less stressed to get dinner ready right when the kids get home and want my attention too.

So this weeks challenge from me to you is to make a meal plan for dinner only, I guess you could do breakfast and lunch if you feel so inclined, but that's waaaaay to organized for me! Post it by tomorrow afternoon. I'll do the same. Even if you don't stick to it 100% it will help to have somewhat of a plan. Happy planning!!

8 comments:

  1. My Menu

    Monday: turkey avocado sandwiches on sourdough bread with pasta salad (left over from yesterday) and fruit salad. I've got lots of fruits and veggies from the food co-op to use up!

    Tuesday: Cafe Rio Salad http://www.wondermomenvy.com/2009/06/cafe-rio-pork-salad-copycat-recipe.html

    Wednesday: Lasagna, french bread, broccoli

    Thursday: Chicken tenders and fries

    Friday: Veggie noodle soup & homemade bread

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this! I always end up depressed when I try cuz my family is SOOOO not into eating anything yummy! Thanks for posting! I'm subbing to this comment thread for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay... I'm going to try. I'm going to TRY to use only items I already have on hand and that I have a variety of picky children/husband. Except Wednesday- ALWAYS grab a pizza then.
    Monday- Bajio or cheese quesedillas, green salad (using leftover chicken)
    Tuesday- Spagghetti, french bread, green beans
    Wednesday- PIZZA night! Wednesday is ALWAYS pizza night at our house!
    Thursday- Breakfast for dinner- french toast, bananas,
    Friday- Chicken potato soup, homemade rolls
    THANKS JENNIE FOR MAKING ME STEP UP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WTG Valerie! Looks good. I did have to go to the store get a few things like lasagna noodles, cilantro, tomatillos and milk. But $30 at the store is much better than $100+. I did buy a bunch of brownie mixes that were on sale too, or it would have been even less. Isn't it refreshing to have a plan!?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay here is mine...

    M- Tater Tott Casserole
    T- Chicken Broccoli
    W- Baked Pasta
    Th-Chicken Alfredo (make on Wednesday)
    F- Pizza

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, it is really fun to see what you all make..it gives me some great ideas and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is everyone sticking to their schedule? I have been even though it has been an unusually craziER week with no end in sight! I'm so glad for the challenge, Jennie!

    ReplyDelete