Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Been in a Funk, But now I am READY to GO & DO!

First of all, I'd like to let you all know that you are NOT allowed to laugh at MY NAME or YOURS listed as an author on a blogspot titled The Well Functioning Family. Notice the little arrow on the header? That means that we are AIMING for the well functioning family. I dare say that our work as spouses and parents is like laundry. It's never ever ever done, for more than a minute anyway. We'll keep blaming, AND THANKING Adam and Eve for both of those dillemas. And for all the joy that comes with them... being a spouse and a parent definitely comes with joy. Laundry... not so much!

Oh, where do I begin... Have you ever found yourself in a bit of a funk? I have recently found myself there. I am starting to be able to see above the cloud of it, but let me tell you a bit about the funk I have been in and see if you can relate.

I have recently felt like all my best efforts for good have been thwarted. Like no matter WHAT I do it is just never going to be enough. Like as a wife, mother, business owner, care-giver, and CEO of this ever demanding household that I am failing miserably, not on one or two fronts but on ALL fronts. I have been grumpy with my husband and children and I've had lots of moments when the Spirit is NON-EXISTENT in my home.

Now I am NOT PROUD of any of this. I have LET SATAN have a presence here, even despite my best efforts. Sometimes the juxtaposition between what I WANT to achieve and what I am capable of achieving is just soooooo stark! Sometimes it feels like the harder I try to have peace in our home and for our family to function WELL equals Satan working all the harder. The saddest part is that sometimes he knocks me off-guard and succeeds.

I have recently been listening to a segment on The Mormon Channel called Unto All The World. This is where they interview Missionaries and mission presidencies about the service they provided, the places and cultures they served in, and the Spirit of missionary work. It has brought some discussion between Dave and I about how one day we would love to serve a mission together and how neat it would be to serve in some foreign land. About how cool it would be, as the church continues to roll forth, if one day we are able to serve in such a place as Iraq, where Dave, as many of you know, was able to serve with the Utah National Guard for a year, I can't tell you how neat I think that experience would be!

Then, this Sunday during LDS General Conference, one of the speakers (I'm horrible, I didn't keep notes! I'll give better references later after I have relistened!) stressed exactly what the description of this blog says. That the MOST IMPORTANT of this life's work will be the work that takes place within the walls of our own homes. That hit me so hard! No matter WHAT callings we will hold or what good we will do in the world... no matter if one day we are called to serve as a primary teacher or as a General Authority... no matter WHERE we serve in our community or in a foreign land... NONE of those acts of service, while all of them worth doing and magnifying to the best of our ability... NONE will be more important than the work we will do as spouses and parents, right within the walls of our own homes.

So I guess I am going to find a way to shake the funk off and to go thwart Satan's efforts. I'm going to GO and I'm going to DO the things that the Lord has commanded! For I KNOW that the Lord giveth NO COMMANDMENTS unto the children of man save he shall prepare a way for them to accomplish the things which he hath commanded.

And I GUESS I am also going to GO and do the laundry!

PLEASE! PLEASE don't be afraid to post here! NONE of us have perfect families and we all need each other! Please pray about what the Lord would have you share and then be bold enough to share it! PLEASE!

1 comment:

  1. I was watching a Women's Conference rerun on KBYU one evening, and the speaker said that it is ok to be a B+ mom in some areas. I felt so much better after that. She said there are areas where only and A is acceptable. Like the Word of Wisdom, paying tithing, keeping the covenants we make in the HOuse of the Lord. For several years Bryce and I were doing really well as parents with FHE, regular family scripture study, etc. Then we became lazy and stopped. Boy, have I felt the difference. We have tried several times to get back where we were, needless to say we are still trying and not succeeding very well. I hope that one of these days we will get our act together and be back on the right track.

    ReplyDelete