Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My homemade compost bin


I am finally posting my crude homemade compost bin.  I cut out a big square in the middle and used wire for hinges and closers, drilled holes all around it and stuck the fruit and veggie scrapes inside that I had been collecting in  bucket and a bunch of grass clippings from mowing the lawn.  I just have been rolling it around the yard a few turns each day.  It is breaking down nicely,but I just wish we could have warmer days so there could be more heat inside to make the process faster.  Valerie did you get that one from Costco?  How much was it again?  Also if I wanted 10 or 12 buckets would that be too many?

1 comment:

  1. Good Job, Michelle!

    Did I tell you I inherited one from my FIL? It's the Mantis twin..something like that. It's huge and ugly, but it has 2 chambers and he just gave it us. Yippee! Bryan has to fix a couple of things on it. I was reading and it said a good thing to add as an activator is alfalfa meal. I was going to check Walmart garden center or Cal Ranch and see if they have it. I can't wait to start using it.

    ReplyDelete