Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fake It Till You Make It & Challenge of The Week!

I don't remember who it was that said this the first time it stuck with me. I believe it was Donna Baxter. I believe she was referring to gaining a testimony of our church. She is right, you know. Sometimes in life you gotta fake it til you make it!

I think it applies to many very important aspects of life. Being a good husband or wife, being a good parent, gaining a testimony, being a good student, and many many others.

Sometimes in life we KNOW something, and so we DO it. But there are also times in life that it happens backwards to that. We have to DO so we will KNOW. The latter can be much harder! It's hard to have faith and put ourselves out there! It's harder to exercise a principle that we don't have a knowledge of! Imagine how much COURAGE it must have taken the Wright Brothers to try out the first airplane!

So here's the challenge: DO something so you can gain a knowledge of it. In other words, fake something until you make it. It can be ANYTHING from pretending you are good at gardening to baking your own bread to making an effort to have family prayer. If you want to share what YOU are doing to accept this challenge, feel free, but also feel free to keep it private. Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. Valerie,
    Thanks for the encouraging post :-)
    I have to laugh though because I feel like "Faking it until I make it" is the the story of my life! :-) I often feel so inadaquate at most everything I do. :-) Like this whole gardening/compost/chicken thing. I AM TOTALLY FAKING IT TILL I MAKE IT!
    Pretty much every calling that I have served in I fake it! I sometimes feel like an imposter and at any moment someone is going to say "Hey why are you here doing that? You don't know what you are doing!"
    So back to your challange. I am going to have to narrow it down to one of the MANY things I feel intimidated by.
    hmmmm! I guess I am going to continue with this chicken/gardening/composting thing. And hope that I can be as knowledgable and confident at it as Shauna Colvin is someday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep- pretty much the story of my life! :)

    ReplyDelete