Monday, May 10, 2010

Co-op

I have finally had a minute (not really) to sit down and read this blog. I love it! A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning out a bin that was at the top of my closet. It had a newspaper from April of 2009 in it and on the cover was a story about a local food co-op. I read the article and did a little research on the internet. It is through Crossroads Urban Center (they put together the mail carrier's food drive last Saturday). Last month we placed our first order. For $24 we got about 20 pounds of produce and about 5 or 6 pounds of meat. The varieties change from month to month. Check out their website.

3 comments:

  1. I've been ordering from this food co-op for a while now. Sometimes it seems VERY worth it, other times it's not. It really depends on what you get. One time I got a bunch of pears and peaches that were really green. They never did ripen properly before they went bad. I've heard they are good about refunding you if there is a problem, but I never bothered. MOST of the time I'm totally happy with what I get.

    I've heard that there could be a Bountiful Baskets produce co-op out here soon. It seems to be much more food for your money, however I've hear ordering can be a nightmare because of it's popularity. Sorta like fighting for the best deals on black friday! Their website gets flooded as soon as ordering becomes avaliable. BB is everyother week instead of once a month like Cross Roads co-op. I'll let you know if I hear anymore about it. Until then.... I'll enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth! I'm so glad you posted about this! I'm interested in participating in the co-op, too. I've also heard good things about bountiful baskets. I know that it is $15 and that it is a LOT of produce for the money. My friend Brianna has gone out of her way to be able to bring it out here soon. All she is really needing at this point it a location. Bountiful Baskets will NOT allow her to use a church. Anyway- I'm interested in the Cross Roads as well. Anything that helps us feed our families for less sounds FABULOUS to me! Thanks ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love Bountiful Baskets to be in Tooele. My parents use that co-op and give us a lot of the produce. The bread is delicious. We just got five loaves!

    ReplyDelete