Wednesday, June 16, 2010

healthy snacks-better behavior-saner mom


Sometimes I feel like we just live in chaos (especially right now)! I don't know about you, but the way my household runs is determined by the two smallest members. With my kids I can tell exactly when they are hungry because their behavior changes. To make things go smoother for everyone, I have made a healthy snack bin and put in down low in the pantry. It has freeze-dried fruit, veggie chips, fruit leather, apples, and bananas (the mix varies). Claire knows she can get into it at any time or she can get a string cheese from the fridge. I really don't mind if my kids snack as long as they are eating something healthy. She is also in charge of picking something out for James if he is ready for a snack. It works well for us and there is no craziness associated with high sugar intake. There have been times in the past when Claire has snacked on marshmallows or fruit snacks and I can tell you that there is a difference in behavior depending on what my kids are eating. (Anyone read Mary Lou Henner's book?)

4 comments:

  1. That is a great idea beth! I will have to try the dried fruit idea. That sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are good ideas- thanks! Your kids are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add that we do lots of kisses and hugs in the day. When I make a point of it, our day goes smoother.

    ReplyDelete