Wednesday, June 2, 2010

GROUND TURKEY

I was looking through my recipe drawer today and was amazed at just how many loose recipes I have. Some I printed from the computer. Some I wrote on actual recipe cards. Some I jotted down on whatever was handy at the time. Those are usually my best ones. I thought I would share two of our family's favorite ground turkey recipes.

Curry Turkey Meatballs

You will need:
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 medium onion
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (I use yellow).
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg beaten
1/3 cup dried plain bread crumbs (I like the panko variety- any will do)
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine turkey, onion, curry powder, cumin, salt, egg, and bread crumbs in a bowel. Mix until well combined. You can use your hands, but personally I don't like the feeling. Roll into approximately 20 meatballs (or use a cookie scoop).

3. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs in batches until browned on all sides. Transfer to baking dish and bake meatballs for 15 minutes or until cooked through.

We usually have this with brown rice and some kind of vegetable (zucchini or whatever). Don't be afraid to serve your kids curry. Mine really like it--you never know.



Turkey Sausage

You will need:
2 lb ground turkey
1 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon sage
1 1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
3/4 cup applesauce

1. Mix all ingredients well.

2. Drop by tablespoon onto a cookie sheet.

3. Put wax paper on top and push down on each ball with the bottom of a glass to flatten.

4. Bake on 350 degrees until done.

Hint: Don't flatten them too much and make sure to not overcook them or they will be dry.

This recipe is very "spicy" (not hot, but very flavorful) and so to make it more friendly for my kids, we have adjusted the spices somewhat from this recipe, just lessened the amounts.


Enjoy!

3 comments: